Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Marble cake with Chocolate fudge icing



Marble cake and me never got along very well all these years. I tried to bake it several times and was never happy with the marble pattern I got. It tasted good but none of them looked good enough to photograph. Having said that the truth is, I never gave up making them as I really like the taste of vanilla and cocoa combination. Sometime back I  picked up a bundt cake pan and have been waiting for a good time to bake in it, but since the pan was quite big I didn’t want to bake something in it just for ourselves. Last week when we went to meet our friends who were going back to India I decided to bake this cake and share it with them. By the time I finished baking it,  it was little late in the evening and I had no energy to photograph it. I decided to leave it uncut and photograph it next day until my lil boy came to kitchen and said “ amma, I can smell a cake”. It’s not fair to ask a 5 yr old to wait till next day to cut the cake right? So we cut the cake and I enjoyed it with my cup of tea… So this time I dont have the  picture whole beautiful bundt cake, hopefully next time if I make one I will update the pictures.



Ingredients
Flour/ Maida – 225 gm ( approx 1 ¾ cup)
Butter – 225 gm( 1 cup)
Sugar – 225 gm ( 1 ¼ cup)
Eggs – 4 large
Cocoa powder - 1 1 /2 tbs
Hot water – 5 tbs(  3+ 2 tbs)
Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Salt – a pinch

Method
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and keep it aside.
Cream butter and sugar with a beater or electric mixer until creamy.
Break eggs in a separate bowl and beat lightly with a spoon.
Add the beaten egg to the creamed butter sugar mixture and beat until mixed.
Add vanilla extract and beat until mixed.
Add the sifted flour mixture slowly and fold in until well incorporated.
Divide the batter into two halves.
Add cocoa powder in a glass and add 3 tbs of boiling water to it and mix well and add this to one half of the batter and fold in.
Loosen the vanilla batter with 2 tbs of boling water and fold in.
In a greased cake tin add 2 tbs of vanilla batter followed by cocoa batter. After doing each layer lighly swirl the batter with your finger to get a marble pattern. Repeat it until all the batter is used up.This youtube video might be helpful.
Bake it an preheated oven at 180 degree C for 40-55 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. 

 For chocolate fudge icing  
Butter - 55 gm (1/4 cup)
Brown sugar - 50 gm (1/4 cup)
Icing sugar - 1 cup
Cocoa powder - 2 tbs

Method
In a saucepan add butter and brown sugar and place it on a low flame until sugar melts and its bubbly.
In a heatproof bowl take icing sugar, cocoa powder and mix.
Add melted butter sugar solution  to it and mix well. Icing is ready.

Spread the icing onto the cool cake and enjoy !!

9 comments:

Rafeeda AR said...

anything made in a bundt pan just looks beautiful!!! the marble pattern looks so beautiful dear...

FLAVZCORNER said...

Hope you enjoyed your Easter break well and are back to your studies. Its been a while I had made Marble cake. The cake looks yum!!

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

lovely marbled patterns...Looks delicious

Kitchen Boffin said...

Oh my!I am simply in love with ur pictures.. those marble cakes look gorgeous! good idea to ice it with chocolate fudge.. double inviting!!

Unknown said...

I haven't tried my hands on Marble cake yet. I have been planning to but somehow never happened.
The cake has turned out perfect Vinee :-)

Merry Tummy said...

even i cannot wait to cut the cake once it is ready...i totally understand Abhay's emotions:)
Looks so tempting:)....:)

Julie said...

looks a perfect marble cake..yummy bake dear,I too have strong inclination to marble cake :)

Priya Suresh said...

Beautiful marble cake, and am in love with that the icing..So delicious they are.

R said...

perfectly made, looks really tempting!