Monday, June 30, 2014

Jerk Chicken


Finally I get time for breather. Today I officially finished my studies and has submitted all my paper works, it definitely calls for a celebration for me. All these days I have been opening my word for typing up assignments and it feels so good to finally write a blog post !

This post is long overdue, its more than a month since I made this Jerk chicken for our anniversary dinner and before I totally forget about this I wanted to post it mainly for my my own future reference and secondly for few friends who has asked me for this recipe. It was actually my hubby who came up with Jamaican  Jerk chicken recipe first. Once in a blue moon he gets into the mood of cooking and do all the search online for a recipe  and cooks for us , the only down side of him cooking is that  for  few hours he  goes on and on about what a good cook he is !!  Anyway coming back to topic, first time when he read this recipe here it mentioned that the scotch bonnet chillies are really hot so use as per your taste, but we both being mallus thought that this scotch bonnet would be something like  Kanthari (small hot green chillies)  and  we ignored that warning and decided to be generous and use 3 scotch bonnet chillies !! Oh boy we were wrong, our mouth was on fire, and the worst part was that we had some friends over for dinner and they suffered too..luckily as it  was my hubby  who made it, I could blame him for all that heat without spoiling my name J .Inspite of all that heat the chicken was still delicious and we all ate it. Second time I decided to take over and made this for our anniversary, but this time I was very cautious, I deseeded the chillies and used only 2 small ones and it made a big difference. It was perfect, we could enjoy the flavours without that heat and for the first time he admitted I cook better than him :) We made this again one more time after that and this is a winner recipe for us now.



Recipe adapted from BBC good food
Ingredients
Chicken thighs – 9
Lemon halves – 2-3 (optional)
For marinade
½ of a small onion
1 ½ inch ginger piece
Garlic cloves – 2
2 small scotch bonnet chillies (deseeded)
Thyme leaves – ¾ tbs
Juice of ½ lime
Soya sauce – 1 ½ tbs
Oil – 1 ½ tbs
Brown sugar – 2 tbs
Ground all spice powder – ¾ tbs
Salt
Method
Blend all the ingredients mentioned under marinade to a paste.
Marinate the chicken in that paste and leave it in the fridge overnight.
Bake the chicken in a baking tray in a  preheated oven at 180 degree C for 45 minutes flipping sides in between.

8 comments:

Anupa Joseph (Palaharam) said...

Congrats Vinee on completing ur course and belated anniversary wishes... I love the name of the dish :)...It is definitely drool worthy..mouthwatering here

Rafeeda AR said...

haha... loved reading through that story, so hillarious... the jerk chicken looks like a must try...

Hasna said...

happend the same with me a couple of times... my fly cudn't bear the heat... lucky u tht u gotta blame ur hubby fr this.. :) those juicy chkn luk delicious and healthy too..

FLAVZCORNER said...

Congrats Vinee!! Your version of Jerk chicken looks yum. I love Jerk seasoning on poultry. I had the same experience with habanero when I used it for the first time, it was burning hot.

Sushma Mallya said...

Lovely recipe .....Looks yummy!

Julie said...

looks yummy & flavorful,tempting flavors:)
btw,what course did u complete,vinee..Congrats !!!

Unknown said...

Congrats Vinee on completing your course and good luck!
The chicken looks delish and I am drooling here

Priya Suresh said...

Congrats sis for completing ur course, seriously am very happy for u.. Jerk chicken looks very prefect for meat-a-holic like me.