Sunday, September 28, 2014

Mathan Erissery/ Pumpkin Erisserry



This is a long overdue post, I was hoping to post this for Onam but I couldn’t post it.  There was so much going on past few weeks, after school activities with my boy, three birthday cakes which I made neck to neck and a wretched flu which kept me drowsy for almost a week and finally a full time job alongside the studies!  I don’t want to waste my time nagging here, so l will get straight to recipe, but before that let me thank some of my friends who support and encourage me to keep blogging and who take some time to give positive feedbacks about the recipes which they tried from my blog. That is the only reason why I try to update my blog as much as I can.

Coming to the recipe, Mathan erisserry is usually made with pumpkin and black eyed beans but I find the combination with cherupayar/mung tastes much better than traditional black eyed beans version, so now I usually make my erisserry with cherupayar . I always make this erisserry  for Kerala Sadya as we all love it.


Ingredients
Pumpkin – 250 gm
Cherupayar/ Mung – ¼ cup
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup + 2 tbs
Shallots/ Kunjulli – 4 number
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Salt
Curry leaves
Mustard seeds
Whole red chilly
Coconut oil

Method
  • Soak Mung/ cherupayar overnight or at least for few hours and pressure cook it for 1-2 whistles adding little water.
  • Make a coarse paste of ½ cup grated coconut, shallots and cumin seeds.
  • Cube the pumpkin into medium sized cubes and cook it in a saucepan adding little water adding red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
  • Add the cooked mung and coconut paste to the cooked pumpkin and cook for a 2-3 minutes .
  • In a small pan add some coconut oil and sputter mustard seeds, add in the 2 tbs of grated coconut, whole red chillies and curry leaves. Roast coconut until brown add the tempering into cooked pumpkin.

5 comments:

Julie said...

mathanga erissery looks delicious.. I too have a few posts from Onam..will try n post :)

Rafeeda AR said...

I am drooling here... looks so yum... hope u feeling much better now, once all things fall in schedule, I am sure you will be able to manage... :)

Anonymous said...

lovely recipe dear

nandoos kitchen said...

love it.. Nice presentation..

FLAVZCORNER said...

The errissery looks yum. The best part is the fried coconut above it!!! I think we make the errissery with little gravy style.