Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Paalak dal /spinach dal/ parippum cheerayum


Dal/Parippu is an absolute comfort food for all of us here. Even when we go on holiday the first thing I want to eat when we get back is some steaming hot rice with some dal. It’s pure bliss.

Many years ago when we set out to Switzerland for  our first holiday together I was so excited to see the places and to try new food. I enjoyed the food the first two days, trying out new food was really great but after that it became a bit less enjoyable and  I was desperate to eat some rice.So out we went for an indian  restaurant hunt but couldn’t find any restaurant nearby but instead found a Chinese. I didn’t even want to look at the menu , all I wanted was some rice. I can never forget the pleasure I got from eating that bowl of rice. Rest of the days we were automatically drawn towards that restaurant . After our holiday we came back hungry and tired, still I didn’t want to order a take away or eat out. I dragged myself to the kitchen and cooked some dal and rice. The taste of that dal and rice is still in my mouth, it was a pure comfort meal and we ate as if we haven’t seen food in many days J



Ingredients
Green gram lentil/ Mung dal – ¾ cup
Onion – 3 medium
Tomato – 2
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Green chillies – 4
Cumin seeds – 1 heaped tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ stp
Spinach – 100 gm
Coriander leaves – few (finely chopped)
Oil
Salt

For tempering/ tadka ( optional)
Oil/ghee
Mustard seeds
Whole red chilli - 2
Garlic minced – 1 1/2tsp
Curry leaves

Method
  • Pressure cook the dal adding enough water.
  • In a pan add oil and sputter cumin seeds.
  • Add chopped onions and saute until light brown.
  • Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw smell goes.
  • Add chopped tomatoes, green chillies and cook for few minutes until tomatoes are mushy.
  • Add turmeric and saute until raw smell goes.
  • Finally add cooked dal, chopped spinach , add enough water and cook for 5-10 minutes.
  • Remove from fire and add chopped coriander leaves.

Tempering/tadka
  • Take oil in a small pan and sputter mustard seeds.
  •  Add minced garlic and fry till  it’s brown.
  • Finally add split whole red chillies and fry until dark. Add in curry leaves and to tadka and remove from fire.
  • Add the tadka to the curry

5 comments:

Famidha Ashraf said...

moong dal is my fav! :-) I couldn't stop smiling reading through the post! I would never go any where near Indian food if I am abroad on vacation.. I like to eat as much as different cuisines as I can.. because once back home.. its going to be the same dals and curries.. :-P But I have to tell, i love dals any kind and I can eat it as it is without rice or rotis. And when there are no veggies or meat, dals rescue me! :-P

Vineetha Sush said...

Famidha, Ha ha..I have to say I am getting better though. Now I can survive upto 6-7 days without rice and dal =D

Amina Creations said...

Healthy and delicious recipe... Will try this soon...

FLAVZCORNER said...

I know how it feels like not getting homely food during vacation. I go through the same even now after so many years being here. My hubby makes fun of me when I tell him that I crave for some 'choor & curry'. Isn't the dal and palak an easy comforting dish that goes well with some rice and a side of spicy pickle? I can live with it for days :)

Vineetha Sush said...

Thank you @Amina
@ Shibhi, I am glad it's just not me...last time when we went on a self catering holiday I even ended up cooking Dal on holiday :)